It’s happened to all of us at some point in our creative endeavors – that feeling of being stuck, uninspired, or just plain burnt out. Whether you’re a seasoned quilter or just starting out, losing your mojo can be frustrating and discouraging. However, it’s important to remember that these feelings are normal and can be overcome with a few simple strategies. You, my friend, are not alone. You will be back to sewing and quilting in no time!
5 Steps to Finding Your Mojo!
- Take a break. Sometimes the best thing to do when you’re feeling stuck is to step away from a certain project (or a whole pile of projects!) for a little while. Go for a walk, read a book, or do something else that you enjoy. Taking a break can help clear your mind and provide you with fresh perspective when you return to the project, whether it’s later that afternoon or even six month later! Take the break. You need it.
- Find inspiration. Look for inspiration in other quilting projects, magazines, or online communities. Pinterest, Instagram, and blogs are great resources for finding new ideas and designs. Sometimes seeing what others have created can help spark your own creativity and get you excited about your projects again. Give yourself permission to work on something that inspires you, rather than whatever project stalled your creativity. You don’t have to tell that old project, “goodbye,” just tell it “see you later.”
- Simplify. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the size or complexity of your project, try simplifying it. Break it down into smaller, more manageable steps, and focus on completing one step at a time. This can help you feel more accomplished and motivated as you work through the project.
- Collaborate. Working with others can be a great way to reignite your enthusiasm for a project. Join a quilting group or attend a workshop or class. Not only will you have the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques, but you’ll also be surrounded by others who share your passion for quilting. There is nothing like hanging out with others who also love quilting to get you motivated!
- Experiment. Try something new or different with your project. Use a new fabric or try a different quilting technique. Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone can be just the thing you need to reignite your creativity and enthusiasm. You have a creative mind and sometimes experimenting with a new twist on quilting will be just the thing you need to get back in the swing of things!
Your Sewing Enthusiasm Will Return!
Remember, losing your mojo is a normal part of the creative process. This happens with all creative people – writers, artists, etc. Lost things can be found. Just because you lost your mojo, doesn’t mean you won’t find it. It’s in there, just waiting for you to give it a little poke, and get back
in the saddle. behind the sewing machine.
Looking for more inspiration to get you going? Check out our Sew & Tell section and our Quilt & Tell section! It is chock-full of beautiful projects from our readers! Interested in sending in one of your own projects to be featured on Sew & Tell or Quilt & Tell? Read all about how to do that by clicking here.